Bjelovar Fair was
established in 1995. The Fair owners are the County Bjelovarsko-bilogorska
and the Town of Bjelovar.
Through help from entrepreneurs and donations, considerable funds were invested
in order to provide conditions for organizing fair shows on the existing premises.
The overall area of the premises is 235,000 m2, and the following area was adjusted
- 3.000 m2 indoor area,
- 1.600 m2 roofed area,
- 30.000 m2 outdoor area,
- 5.000 m2 facilities intended for live-stock exhibition.
An area of 40,000 has been provided for a parking lot.
The main show of the International Live-stock and Economy Fair is held at the
beginning of September every year. More than 500 exhibitors take part in it,
400 of them being stock-breeders, with over 50,000 visitors.
Apart from this, the Fair organizes an number of other shows, like Spring Fair,
Small Animals Fair, equestrian shows, live-stock auctions, agricultural, fruit-growing,
and wine-growing exhibitions, expert meetings, weekly live-stock fairs and so
It is worth taking part in Bjelovar Fair shows, because this is the place where
brand new technological and scientific achievements in economy, especially in
agriculture are presented. It is a place where business contracts are signed
and where entrepreneurs meet.
Fairs have centuries long tradition in this area, especially live-stock fairs,
and Bjelovar Fair only wishes to continue this tradition.
THE TRADITION LONGER THAN 500 YEARS
to hold fairs was the main privilege of a place in the late
Middle Ages. Therefore the data from 14th and 15th century,
which refer to the then landed property and market town Jakobove
Sredice (today Velike and Male Sredice), the suburbs of Bjelovar,
where the fairs were held every Wednesday, witness to the fact
how important this area was at that early age. Coming to the
fair was easier because of the road going from Križevci and
Rovišće, towards Ciglena, Severin, Stupčanica and Podborje,
which was also known as Četvrtkovac (“Thursdayville”) because
of the fairs that used to be held there on Thursdays (Today
it is called Daruvar.)
Sredice had lost their importance at the beginning of 16th
century, the fairs weren’t held there any more. Tradesmen and
craftsmen moved to the nearby Gudovac, which consequently became
a market town where fairs were held until, after Turkish destruction,
it disappeared from the map and was no longer mentioned in
the Tax Register in 1554.
which, as a small fair place in the Roviška County, was mentioned
for the first time in early 15th century, started urbanizing
rapidly three centuries later. In 18th century, continuing
the tradition of fairs which began in the Middle Ages, empress
Maria Theresa gave Bjelovar fair privileges by a charter issued
on 26th February 1772. This charter gave Bjelovar the right
to hold two annual fairs (on 11th May and 20th October), and
weekly fairs held every Thursday. At that time, Bjelovar got
a market place on the north-west outskirts of the town, intended
for selling cattle and small live-stock. From 1794 on, twelve
monthly fairs were held in Bjelovar in a year, every first
Monday of a month.
In 19th century,
Bjelovar was granted the right to hold two annual fairs (which
confirmed empress Maria Theresa’s decision from 18th century),
and twelve monthly fairs, by the Rescript of the High Ministry,
of 13th May 1862.
Bjelovar market-place moved to a new location – the north-eastern
outskirts of the town, the so called Logor (“Camp-site”).
the Second World War, in 1941 and 1942, the city Council brought
a number of decrees, among them being the Decree on Fair Fee and
Place Fee in the Municipality of the Town of Bjelovar, which came
into force on 1st January 1942.
After the end
of the war The First Agricultural Exhibition” was held in Bjelovar
in October 1949. The live-stock part of the exhibition was situated
in three pavilions (for horses, pigs, bulls and cows), that were
erected in Mažuranićeva Street. At this large exhibition, visited
by 16,000 people, 69 peasant co-operating societies took part,
as well as many state farms and co-operating arms, food-processing
industry and individuals, and the best exhibitors were given numerous
prizes. The second similar exhibition was held in Bjelovar in September
As far as
exhibitions are concerned, it is worth mentioning that Bjelovar
Co-operating Society for Raising and Selection of Pure-Blooded
Poultry, Rabbits and Goats opened its three days’ exhibition
in Bjelovar, on 26th December 1952. The number of 262 animals
were exhibited in exhibiting cages.
live-stock exhibitions were held in Bjelovar in 1967, and in
Žabno in 1968. From then on until 1978, there were two live-stock
exhibitions in the Bjelovar region in a year: one for the municipalities
of Bjelovar, Čazma, Đurđevac, Koprivnica, Križevci, Vrbovec,
and the other for the municipalities of Grubišno Polje, Virovitica,
Daruvar, Pakrac and Garešnica. The Work Rules for the Live-stock
Fund of the Bjelovar Region were effective until 1985.
mentioned above, it is evident that live-stock fairs and awarding
the producers for successful growing of high-quality pure-blooded
and highly productive heads in one part of the North-Western
Croatia, where the County Bjelovar, County Bjelovarsko-križevačka,
Great District of Bilogora and the County Bjelovarsko-bilogorska
of today, with Bjelovar as its seat, switched places during
the history, has had a really long tradition. At the Second
Session of the Country Council, held on 3rd September 1993,
the first County-Prefect of the newly-established County, Tihomir
Trnski, informed the members of the Council of the intention
to revive organization of live-stock fairs and stock exhibitions.